SR. TAX ACCOUNTANT
Reports to: Supervisors, Managers and Partners
Supervises: Staff Accountants
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Senior accountants can perform most engagements with little supervision. When appropriate they will review issues with the engagement supervisor, manager and/or partner. It is at this level that a specialization begins to be developed.
Seniors are not expected to supervise projects but are expected to manage and
develop specific client accounts. Seniors should concentrate on developing
strong technical skills and managing client relationships by being the primary
client contact, obtaining all information necessary for engagements and efficiently preparing returns and projects for review.
SENIORS ARE EXPECTED TO DO EVERYTHING A STAFF ACCOUNTANT CAN DO AND:
1. Adhere to the firm’s Quality Control Procedures and effectively supervise and
train staff accountants in accordance with the Quality Control Policies and
2. Perform diverse accounting, auditing, and tax assignments under the
direction of a supervisor, manager or partner.
3. Completely prepare complicated tax returns with the ability to recognize
complex tax issues, including multi-state tax returns and other tax returns with
high volumes of activity.
4. Become proficient at tax research, including knowledge of the reference
sources available to the firm.
5. Plan and coordinate various phases of tax engagements, including budgeting
time, monitoring actual performance against budget, preparing returns with
the highest quality of accuracy and completeness.
6. Develop strong technical knowledge sufficient to prepare returns accurately
7. Begin acquiring the skills necessary to develop quality client relationships and loyalty.
8. Prepare client billings.
9. Prepare fee proposals for prospective clients.
10. Be a self-starter who is capable of meeting time constraints and client
deadlines, managing workload, progressing projects independently and
working with a dynamic team.
11. Possess knowledge of quarterly and annual payroll, 1099, W-2 and business
license preparation to supervise engagements.
12. Train clients on how to use QuickBooks.
13. Optional -- Begin to develop a command of GAAP, OCBOA, unique or
specialized accounting principles, and financial statement presentations.
Obtain a thorough understanding of generally accepted auditing standards
and common audit procedures and techniques.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
This job primarily involves work in the firm’s office or at the client’s site. There is a moderate to low overtime requirement during non-busy season. However,
during busy season and when required to complete a tax or audit engagement,
high levels of overtime may be required. Senior accountants have a minimum of two years of experience as staff accountants (or equivalent experience as
deemed appropriate by the partners).
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATES OR KNOWLEDGE:
Either hold a current and valid CPA, JD or EA license, or be working toward
obtaining a license.