Auditor Duties and Responsibilities:
- Protects assets by ensuring compliance with internal control procedures and regulations.
- Ensures compliance with established internal control procedures by examining records, reports, operating practices, and documentation.
- Verifies assets and liabilities by comparing items to documentation.
- Completes audit workpapers by documenting audit tests and findings.
- Appraises adequacy of internal control systems by completing audit questionnaires.
- Maintains internal control systems by updating audit programs and questionnaires, and recommending new policies and procedures.
- Communicates audit findings by preparing a final report and discussing findings with auditees.
- Complies with federal, state, and local security legal requirements by studying existing and new security legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions.
- Prepares special audit and control reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing operating information and trends.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications and content, and participating in professional societies.
Auditor Job Qualifications and Skills: In this section of your auditor job description, you should use a bullet list to articulate the required and preferred qualifications you are seeking in an ideal candidate. Since some candidates will apply only if they meet all the requirements, be sure to differentiate between “required” and “preferred” qualifications. Whether you use one list or two, begin with the most important skills you are seeking first, as illustrated below:
- Auditing and general accounting practices
- Knowledge of Statement of Financial Accounting Standards (SFAS)
- Legal compliance
- Documentation skills
- Attention to detail
- Reporting research results
- Understanding of applicable accounting and banking laws
- Presentation skills
- Financial software
- Corporate finance
Education, Experience, & Licensing Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance, certified public accountant (CPA) preferred
- Previous experience in finance or accounting in a similar setting or sector