JOB SUMMARY: The Senior Counsel role is responsible for the full oversight of their respective practice area and legal teams, including proper management of client cases, intra-firm coordination, case outcomes, business development, and overall team performance. Reporting to the Partner, the Senior Counsel will take a focused approach in delivering high-quality client service via effective team leadership and case management within their area of specialty and legal practice. The Senior Counsel will act as a key player in ensuring growth within their practice area via a high-value client experience and effective team leadership.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Listed below.
• Oversee overall practice area, including client service, business development (e.g., growth of client base) and team management (e.g., hiring, training, performance management).
• Delegate legal research and preparation of legal memoranda in order to effectively advise clients on a range of topics and areas of focus within the scope of Corporate & Real Estate Transactions. • Maintain expert-level knowledge, and continued learning, in the areas of legal specialty, inclusive of a broad spectrum of corporate and real estate transactional matters such as M&A, entity formation, governance, buy-sell agreements, employment agreements, corporate and real estate financing, real estate leasing, purchases and sales, exchanges, development, and construction, and general representation of businesses. • Directly manage and lead team (e.g., Legal Assistants, Specialists, Paralegals, Senior Paralegals, Attorneys), providing resource and direction as needed, in support of their performance and growth of the practice area. • Generate new business by personally securing new clientele and leading the Attorney team in building, retaining, and growing trusted client relationships within their respective portfolios. • Partner with executive team in developing new organizational practices and procedures for enhanced client experience, team member performance, and business development at scale.
• Monitor and support team member functions, such as thorough execution of drafting and reviewing documents as it pertains to assigned cases and projects. • Ensure preparation of legal documents, such as contracts, depositions, pleadings, etc. in a timely manner and that all case/business related materials (records, letters, legal documents, case files, correspondence, financial reports, invoices, etc.) are effectively managed for efficient and high-value client service and case outcomes.
• Maintain effective coordination with opposing counsel and other involved parties as needed. • Conduct all matters in an ethical fashion in accordance with the law and in the interest of the client.
• Demonstrate our core values of “Integrity, Hard Work, Excellence, and Team” and participate in cross-departmental and organizational planning and volunteer efforts as needed.
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: Listed below.
• Minimum of 8 years of experience in law practice, business administration, client relations, or consulting/professional services.
• Juris Doctorate and California Bar Accreditation required. Bachelor’s Degree required; related to law, business administration, or relevant field(s).
• Experience in, and knowledge of, a broad spectrum of corporate and real estate transactional matters such as M&A, entity formation, governance, buy-sell agreements, employment agreements, corporate and real estate financing, real estate leasing, purchases and sales, exchanges, development, and construction, and general representation of businesses, as well as strong document drafting skills required.
• Knowledge of general business functions (business development, revenue management, staffing etc.) with demonstrated ability to effectively manage and lead teams for enhanced organizational performance.
• Proficient communication skills (written and verbal) with ability to effectively research, read, interpret, and organize information with accuracy and consistency.
• Ability to remain focused and professional in high-tense situations (e.g., communicating with highly stressed clients throughout difficult cases).
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with all organizational levels within a diverse and fast paced environment.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Microsoft Teams) and Adobe Acrobat.
WORKING CONDITIONS, HOURS OF WORK, AND TRAVEL: This role operates in a professional office environment with use of standard office equipment (e.g., computers, phones, filing cabinets). All employees are expected to perform duties that regularly require them to speak, hear, stand, walk, use hands, sit for long periods of time, focus on a computer screen for multiple hours at a time, carry up to 30 pounds, and other reasonable functions. This is a full-time position with standard hours of work being Monday through Friday, 8:00AM to 5:00PM with occasional evening and weekend work required as job duties demand. Travel to/from company offices is expected during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY: We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of
qualifications, merit, and business need.