Government Mortgage Underwriter
Exceed the expectations of our residential mortgage borrowers & business partners through superior service, simple processes, and effective communications.
We deliver on this mission by empowering our employees by encouraging and recognizing superior performance and innovative solutions, by promoting teamwork and divisional cooperation.
The main focus of this role is to perform underwriting of FHA and/or VA mortgage loans including a detailed review of the residential mortgage loan application and documentation as submitted to ensure loans meet underwriting guidelines as established by Company and its investors. This is a remote position.
Education And Experience Requirements
- Approves or rejects residential loans within prescribed authority
- Analyzes borrower’s credit profile, collateral and capacity to repay the proposed mortgage obligation
- Ensures loans meet Company, agency and government guidelines
- Accurately calculates borrower’s income and debt-to-income ratios based on acceptable New Rez and agency practices
- Documents lending decisions and completes required screens in the loan origination system that include accurate completion of the 1008 as well as adding and/or creating applicable conditions on the loan approval
- Run, reads and interprets automated underwriting decision results from both Desktop Underwriter and Loan Prospector
- Review s conditions submitted on loans and sign off on conditions where appropriate
- Keep s informed of current and acceptable underwriting practices
- Communicate s loans decisions to clients/internal departments in a timely fashion and ensure s compliance deadlines are met with regards to pre-disclosures, approval letters, denial notices, and counteroffers.
- Work s closely with processing and/or account management to answer specific loan questions, to answer specific conditions or documentation requested and to resolve problems
- Maintain s and cultivate s an effective working relationship with internal and external customers
- Prioritize s work queue to ensure service level agreements are met
- Consistently meet s or exceed s established minimum productivity and quality goals
- Provide s quality control responses in a timely manner
- Act s as a role model of the company’s values, acting in an ethical and professional manner at all times
- Embrace s company culture
- Minimum 4 years of residential loan underwriting experience
- DE and/or LAPP/SAR
- High school diploma required
- Bachelors Degree preferred
Knowledge, Skill, and Ability Requirements
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to make risk based lending decisions supported with relevant data and research
- Detail oriented
- Knowledgeable with MS Office
- Excellent Customer Service skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Great organizational skills
- 15 Paid Time Off (PTO) days and 18 after 1st anniversary!
- 8 Paid Holidays
- Casual Workplace
- Employee Engagement Activities
Equal Employment Opportunity
- Medical (including Health Savings Account & Flexible Savings Account)
- Dental - RX – Vision – Life, Disability Insurance – 401(k) Plan with company match! – Employee Assistance Plan
- Pet Insurance!
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.