This person will play a lead role in developing and implementing impactful, creative public relations and marketing communications programs in order to raise the profile of the firm and its lawyers regionally, nationally and in legal and business communities. As a key member of the marketing department and reporting into the Director of Marketing & Practice Development, he/she will work closely with the executive team, practice groups, individual attorneys and staff members on targeted external and internal communications initiatives.
A successful candidate must have knowledge of core public relations principals including external and internal communications, thought leadership-based marketing, media relations, executive profiling and digital communications. He/she should have strong leadership and management skills such as organizing, planning, problem-solving and decision-making.
He/she should possess technical expertise and is expected to exercise discretion and independent judgment on marketing and public relations issues.
1. Develop and implement firm public relations and marketing campaigns. This includes researching and identifying potential PR opportunities, preparing and distributing press releases, media alerts, articles and preparing talking points and coordinating response to press inquiries. Maintain and grow target media contacts database.
2. Play an integral role in helping develop content and strategy for the firm’s digital program, including the firm’s website and social media program, with a specific focus on LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram among other social media channels.
3. Write, edit and coordinate a wide range of copy and serve as a central resource to develop messaging, collateral, ads, draft press releases, biographies, develop award entries, and coordinate survey submissions, among other strategic communications projects.
4. Promote and support firm and sponsored events, webinars and speaking engagements by drafting or editing web posts, invitations, speaking proposals and program content including bios, firm descriptions and ads.
5. Ensure editorial guidelines and branding and style consistency throughout marketing collateral, both in print and online. Take the lead on educating the marketing team on communications initiatives, guidelines, standards and policies.
6. Help manage the firm’s relationship with brand, advertising and PR agencies on strategic projects.
7. Delegate and supervise work of junior team members.
8. While the above essential tasks are expected to consume the majority of working time, other duties related to the development and implementation of marketing and communications programs will be assigned as needed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Strong knowledge of communication and public relations practices and techniques.
2. Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
3. Excellent organizational skills with the ability meet deadlines and multi-task if priorities shift and/or conflict.
4. High level of attention to detail and meticulous follow-through.
5. Adept at building relationships with media, internal clients and the community in general.
6. Exercise appropriate and independent judgment and discretion regarding sensitive confidential matters.
7. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
8. Ability to work independently and thrive as part of a team.
JOB COMPETENCIES / SUCCESS FACTORS:
• Client service-orientation
• Proactive problem solving and providing recommendations
• Communication skills
• Work ethic and teamwork
• Interpersonal skills
• Project management
• Writing skills
1. Bachelor's Degree with 6-8+ years journalism, PR agency or professional services experience.
2. Track record of producing positive media placements for a law firm or other professional services organization.
3. Knowledge of various media platforms in which attorneys can obtain visibility, including electronic media.Locations: San Diego | Los Angeles | Riverside | Irvine